Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mama Made Easy: Sponge cake with Lemon curd filling

This is my new favorite cheep, easy, healthy, yummy dessert. Well to be honest I don't think I had an old favorite, lol. Our neighbor came over the other day and said that her duck had laid eggs, but something had eaten two of them one night and now the mother wouldn't touch them, did we want duck eggs? Sure! Just in case you are worried I broke them before using to make sure they were good. I remembered that my Forgotten Skills of Cooking (a fabulous thing to have on your shelf if your trying embrace the whole foods homestead life style) book had some duck egg recipies so I pulled it out. I'm hosting my first large family gathering for Easter (tomorrow) and I figured I would try this out. I have to say I am completely blow away by the results. I plan on making this cake a LOT. The best part is it would be so easy to do on a nap time. I changed the recipe a little, using honey instead of sugar and fresh ground white winter wheat (which is VERY light) instead of white flour. When I don't have duck eggs anymore, which will be very soon, I plan on using 3 large chicken eggs, or 4 very small ones. I've know of Lemon Curd for a long time, but just never tried it. Oh, man have I been missing out! I could sit down and just eat a whole batch of it. It's basically an easy lemon custard. You could also fill the cake with jam or fruit preserves, or flavored whipped cream, pudding, fresh berries or anything else you could think of. For those of us who have an over abundance of spring eggs (our neighbor had 24 dozen last time I checked, and that was after giving them away to everyone he can think of), this is a perfect dish. The lemon curd would be a perfect topping for cottage cheese for a pregnant or nursing mommy trying to get in lots of protein. It would also be nice on toast, scones, or meringues. I would even whip up a quick batch to put on crackers and serve with tea for a last minute drop in guest. Just image how special they would feel *smile*
  *Picture coming after I put the cake together tomorrow*
Duck-Egg Sponge Cake with Lemon Curd Filling
Sponge Cake
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole white winter wheat)
3 duck eggs
6 tablespoons superfine sugar or honey

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two cake pans with parchement paper, grease and dust with flour. Separate the white and yolks. Put the whites and sugar (or honey) into and bowl and beat until the whites are stiff. Whisk in the yolks one by one. Then fold in the flour. Divide the mixture between the two baking pans. Bake for 15 minutes (it was 15 in my stove, but the book calls for 20 to 25 minutes). Turn out carefully and let cool on a wire rack.

Lemon Curd
4 table spoons of butter (I just realized I miss-read this and used two, and it's very nice still)
juice of two lemons (and zest if you want it)
1/4 cup honey (that's a guess I just poured and tasted to make sure it wasn't too sour)
2 eggs and one egg yolk
Melt the butter on very low heat. Add the honey and lemon juice and zest. Stir carefully over low heat with a wooden spoon until the mixture covers the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl or jar (or just eat it right out of the pot). Cover when cool and refrigerate. Best eaten within two weeks.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'll have to try it! 24 dozen eggs??!! That's crazy! Wish we lived closer, we would love some eggs! :)

    I've been praying for you the last few months.

    Happy Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!! I LOVE lemon curd! But I've never seen a recipe that wasn't mainly sugar so I've avoided it. But I will make this! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandmother used to make a Lemon Pudding Cake like this:
    (But it is a little heavy on the sugar, but the cool part is that it separates and makes the pudding on the bottom. And it is yummy, too...hot or cold. Love y'all, Aunt Beth.

    Ingredients:
    4 eggs, separated
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups milk

    Directions:
    1. Beat together egg yolks, lemon rind, and butter or margarine until thick and lemon colored. Add lemon juice. Combine sugar, flour, and salt; add alternately with milk to the yolk mixture, beating well after each addition.
    2. Beat egg whites until stiff. Blend egg whites into batter on low speed of electric mixer. Pour into 8 inch square baking dish.
    3. Place a pan of hot water in the oven, and set the baking dish into the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete