Thursday, February 11, 2010

Our life in approx 115 sq ft

I thought I might share some pics of the "nursery". As we are currently homeless, we feel very blessed to have a room to call our own, for now, with my parents. I have worked VERY hard to try and maximize the space, while trying to keep the clutter down. No easy task, but a rather fun creative challenge as I have to keep changing things to meet new needs. Our under 1,000 sq ft house is going to feel like a mansion after this.
I put a lot of thought into what kind of baby gear might work best for us, both now and when the house is done. I opt-ed for a pack-and-play that will work as a bassinet for both babies (and got it almost brand new at a yard sale for $25...it even has a little noise maker/light attachment). When the girls get bigger we have another pack-and-play that was generously given to us and plan to use one for each instead of cribs. (Note the convenient location of the TUMS bottle and the ipod in the attached storage basket at the end, lol.) While the pack-and-play is at the raised height I am storing all the baby blankets in the bottom of it. Don't ask me where they will go when we have to lower it, cause I just don't know :)
You can see the two wooden framed images on the wall behind the "crib". They are a project I finished a couple of weeks ago. I had been thinking about times I've babysat for screaming children, and when I wanted to sing something to sooth the child (and frankly myself) practically every song I knew just flew out of my head, except maybe sometime very un-soothing like Jingle Bells. So I thought of some good old hymns I like and then copied them down (I'm afraid you can't see it very well in this little pic, but I wrote in all down in free form bubble script and it took me forever, especially when I messed up half way through!) on heavy water color paper and framed them with some very cute vintage baby wrapping paper I picked up months and months ago. The song in this frame is "Can you count the stars?" and it's an old hymn my dad used to sing to me when I was little. You can read the lovely old words here. Just reading them lowers my blood pressure, and that has to be a good thing for a new mama, right?
And lastly we have the girl's dresser, given to use by a friend who didn't need it anymore more. It's just the right size for a changing pad which we screwed onto the back. All the diaper changing supplies and cloth diaper stuff is conveniently located in the top drawer. We are REALLY hoping to make good use out of these, especially after I saw the price of diapers combined with the fact that with twins we can expect to go through 12 a day. Yikes! I know washing diapers is work, but so is earning money...to spend on diapers...to fill with poo-poo...) The step peddle trash can is our cloth diaper pail, lined with a water proof bag that can be washed with diapers.
So for now, this is our little home. And I must say, that even though some people would feel panicked about the levels of unknown in our life right now I can only seem to feel blessed, content, and frankly happy. Especially in light of some stories I heard just in the last day. One was a young woman (friend of a friend sort of thing) pregnant with twins and about a foot shorter than I am-meaning not much room for two babies. She has just been hospitalized with pre-term labor and she's not due till April. But that's just the start. She's newly married, and got married because she was pregnant. They are in debt up to their eyeballs, and...yep there's more...the day after she was hospitalized her husband lost his job. Or even harder than that was the pod-cast I listened to today about the mom who found out she had breast cancer about the same time she found out she was pregnant with her second set of twins. She beat the cancer during the pregnancy and then four months later had massive heart failure, and now lives with a complicated heart pump. So. Suddenly the of idea of being a new mom to twins while living in this lovely little 9'x13' home doesn't seem like such a hard thing to do.
Blessings!c

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Talk about keeping things in perspective. I tell you, it's something we all have to work at doing b/c we get weighed down with our own selfish thoughts and forget how blessed we are.

    I love you. You are in my thoughts and prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poor girl. I hope everything starts to go good for her soon. Yeah, you can think how bad your life is but there is always someone out there that has it 10x more worse than you do. It's sad but hopefully everything will turn out better, all you got to do is pray and have faith. Hopefully the house will be ready before you know it and move into it, so you can "spread out" better. Prayers are with you and the babies.

    ReplyDelete