Here are some of the things I learned in our birth process, little and big.
- Just because your baby is breech doesn't mean you need a c-section, though it might. There are other options out there, like in my case flying in someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in breech and twins births. Be your own health advocate and don't ignore your instincts. Do your own research. But most of all, seek God's face. C-section was not the best option for us. I believed it before the birth and I believe it now.
- People always say how ugly you will be to your husband during birth, and I always hated the idea. I secretly (literally, I told no one) vowed I would prove them all wrong, and that I would not let pain make me turn on my best friend and the person I loved best in the world. I did prove them wrong. I never yelled at The Man even once in the 12 hours of labor. As hard as it is you can decide not to be hateful during birth...it's a waste of precious energy anyway.
- Birth can make me an irrational coward. It my darkest moments I wanted what I fought so hard against: a c-section! Make sure you really trust your birth team and they have a clear understanding of your priorities and goals in a birth. I needed to be surrounded by people who really believed I could do this and would help me believe it too when I got lost in the pain.
- The Man is no coward. 12 hours of labor. 12 of them. And he left my side only twice.
- Hiding scripture in your heart is an unmeasurable blessing in life.
- Drugs to dull the pain would really do me no good. It was hard enough to figure out how to push (since I never had the urge to push) it would have been impossible for me if those muscles were numb.
- I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me, literally.
- Good health through diet and exercise can make all the difference both for moms and babies.
- The little details can really matter to me. Lip balm, drinking straws, and having my hair out of my face in a pony tail were all really important that night.
- Saying WOW during contractions helps open the cervix. "Wwwwwooooooowwww" Don't be afraid to try things that you think other people might think are stupid if it helps you
- Environment is VERY important to me: low light, music, no people i don't know coming in and out, and no tubes in my arm.
- It won't last forever, even when your sure your are going to be in labor for the rest of your life, it won't last forever.
- Natural birth makes for very healthy babies. Even with 12 hours of labor the girls came in the world bright eyed and lovely. The midwife said Penn smiled at her as she was coming out.
- I can do what I must as a mom for the health and protection of my children without complaining.
- Jello jigglers made with Knox jello, real fruit juice, and honey are my perfect labor food...and anyone who thinks you can go through 12 hours of labor without some food to give you energy is crazy in my book.
May the name of the God of Jacob protect you!
May he send you help from the sanctuary
and give you support from Zion!
May he remember all your offerings
and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices
May he grant you your heart’s desire
and fulfill all your plans!
May we shout for joy over your salvation,
and in the name of our God set up our banners!
May the LORD fulfill all your petitions!
Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed;
he will answer him from his holy heaven
with the saving might of his right hand.
Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
They collapse and fall,
but we rise and stand upright.
May he answer us when we call