Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cleaning: club soda

Okay- I officially love this stuff. It cost me 80 cents for a bottle (and that was at the pricey grocery store) and after one night of cleaning I have used over half the bottle. Of course I went to open it and it sprayed ALL OVER the place, including me, after being bounced about in the car...but I figured it was no loss since it's supposed to be good for cleaning stuff. I used it on the fixtures in the bathroom, the window ledges, the blinds, and the chair rail moldings, all with great results. I haven't tried it as a glass or kitchen sink cleaner yet, but it's supposed to be good for that too. BTW-One other tip I have learned from the depression era generation is to wipe down your mirrors with you cleaner and a cloth, but dry them with a crumpled piece of news paper. The news paper doesn't leave any fuzz or streaks on your glass. But it was AMAZING as a carpet cleaner. I had some stains which I had been trying for some time to get out. I had used a wet vac and carpet cleaners like Spot Shot. Nothing helped and the Spot Shot seemed to make it worse by drying with a residue and attracting more dirt. But I put club soda on it, let it soak for ten minutes or so, pressed out the moisture with a drag, and my rag was covered in dirty carpet scum. There was one spot I treated twice, but all of them came up! I've heard its best to use club soda in your carpet when it still has some fizz to it. But I found that it works best in a spay bottle when the fizz is gone, because the pressure makes the nozzle drip after every spray. I found some other great uses for club soda here. I was curious while I cleaned what exactly it was about club soda that made it a good cleaning agent, since I had only thought of it as a rather icky drink. Didn't find much...but you just have to look at what I did find, lol. I think I may have to change my mind about it as an "icky-drink" and try making some home made sodas with it. We've haven't been drinking as many sodas because of all the corn syrup in them...and they are generally bad for your health, so this would be a fun alternative to try.

As of now, over half of the detail cleaning at the house is done. I'm hoping that two more evenings of work, one cleaning and one painting will finish everything up. I met with out new agent and the difference was like night and day. I finally have a good feeling about selling the house. I feel confident that the house will sell when it's the right time, and if I ever feel a little inclined to freak I just remind myself of that. Please keep it all in your prayers though. Blessings!c


"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
P.S. I've been meaning to mention that I encouraged a friend of mine who's dryer was taking forever to set up a clothes line and she saved $80 on her electric bill the next month!
P.P.S. I just found out that Lindsay over at passionate homemaking has a free give away on a really cool type of natural laundry detergent. Click here to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment